Students Participate in Screen Printing and Sublimation Competition at SkillsUSA
Event supports trade and technical career paths.
Secondary and post-secondary students showed off their printing chops at the SkillsUSA National Leadership and Skills Conference (NLSC). Students from across the country gathered in Louisville, Kentucky June 24-28 to learn and compete in more than 100 skills contests focused on various trade and technical careers, including printing.
SGIA supported two industry-related competitions in the Graphics Imaging – Sublimation and Screen Printing categories by coordinating, judging, and organizing $96,000 in prizes and stipends.
“SGIA is proud to be involved at the level it is with this effort in cultivating the future workforce,” says Johnny Shell, VP, SGIA Print Technology and Training, and chair of NLSC.
More than 40 students took part in the two competitions, which required participants to cycle through eight testing stations, judged and vetted by SGIA members and staff to align with standard program curriculums.
Results — Graphics Imaging–Sublimation
• First: Mattie Egly, Lawrence County High School, Lawrenceburg, Tennessee
• Second: Colby Henson, Sikeston Career & Technology Center, Sikeston, Missouri
• Third: Mardeliz Flores, Orange Technical College – Mid-Florida Campus, Orlando, Florida
• First: Sandra Castaneda, Salt Lake Community College, Salt Lake City, Utah
• Second: Samantha Killen, Illinois Central College, East Peoria, Illinois
• Third: Christopher Waldun, Augusta Technical College, Augusta, Georgia
Results — Screen Printing Technology
• First: Makayla Buscher, Nichols Career Center, Jefferson City, Missouri
• Second: Keiller Middlebrook, Grover Cleveland High School, Reseda, California
• Third: Gabe Waldrup, S & W Washtenaw Consortium, Saline, Michigan
• First: Kyler Kelsch, Dixie State University, Saint George, Utah
• Second: James Sullivan, Illinois Central College, East Peoria, Illinois
• Third: Cynthia Lainez, Catawba Valley Community College, Hickory, North Carolina
Judges — Graphics Imaging–Sublimation
• Henry Coeme, HIX Corporation
• David Gross, Conde Systems Inc.
• Aaron Montgomery, Pic the Gift
• Syd Northup, Gans Ink & Supply
• Erin Nuss, SGIA
• Ray Weiss, SGIA
Judges — Screen Printing Technology
• Betty Bassett, Classic Designs Screen Printing
• Brett Bowden, Printed Threads
• Alan Howe, Saati Americas Corp.
• Pierre Jamnicky, Blue Moon Promotional Inc.
• Matthew Marcotte, T&J Printing Supply
• Donnie Mullens, Fruit of the Loom Inc.
• James Ortolani, PolyOne Corporation
• Lon Winters, Print This/GraphicElephants.com
• Aaron Montgomery of 2 Regular Guys Podcast
• Atkinson Consulting
• BBC Industries Inc.
• Beaver Paper & Graphic Media Inc.
• Conde Systems Inc.
• Easiway Systems Inc.
• Epson America Inc.
• Fruit of the Loom Inc.
• N. Glantz & Son
• Great Dane Graphics
• HIX Corporation
• Newman Roller Frames mfg. by Stretch Devices
• PolyOne Corporation
• Saati Americas Corp.
• Shur-Loc Fabric System
• The M&R Companies
• Wasatch Computer Technologies